Guidelines for Writing Your Letter to the Admissions CommitteeDirections:
The following instruction contains information about your letter to the AdmissionsCommittee, which is a required part of your application to be presented for review. Please focusonly on the information requested about you, your background, and your future goals.
You arestrongly encouraged to carefully proofread, grammar check, and spell check your letter to theAdmissions Committee. Overall writing presentation and clarity are very important.Your Full Name: You must include your full name in your letter to the Admissions Committee.Degree and specialization:
You must clearly indicate to which degree program you are applyingas well as the specialization you wish to pursue within that degree program.Content: There are 8 sections described below. Please include the following information whenpreparing your letter to the Admissions Committee. While not required, we strongly suggest thatyou format your letter by heading each section with the headings shown below. Write yourinformation in paragraph form and do not use bullet format under the section headings.
• Personal/Professional Goalso Why you are interested in graduate school and what are your plans after you receiveyour degree?What influenced you to choose the field?Why are you interested in the program and specialization to which you are applying?Please note that your personal/professional goals must be in line with thespecialization to which you are applying.
• Academic Experienceo Describe your previous undergraduate and graduate academic experience; if you donot have the specialization background, you may want to explain how you plan toapply your prior academic skills to your chosen specialization.o You may include any experiences (e.g., study abroad, unique work or researchexperience) that influenced your choice of graduate program/specialization.
Explain any inconsistencies in academic record or work experience. If your GPA isnot what you would have liked, explain special personal, physical or familycircumstances that may have adversely affected your GPA.
• Research Experienceo Address prior research experience, significant research papers/projects or otherresearch accomplishments in your field. If you do not have any prior researchexperience, you must indicate that under this section in a complete sentence.
• Work /Other Experienceo What is your prior work experience? Include any volunteer work and/orextracurricular activities that complement your career decision. If you do not haveany relevant experience, you should indicate this. You can also address any culturalRevised: 5/9/2012knowledge or experiences you may have acquired that may better prepare you for thefield.
• Personal Qualitieso Include in this section personal qualities (e.g., interpersonal skills, team work skills,etc.) you possess that you believe will contribute to your success in your field andgraduate study.
• Why Walden?Indicate why Walden would be a good match for you and your future goals.o What interested you about Walden (this could include courses, faculty, and / orresearch projects and facilities)?o Why are you interested in an online program?
• Reasons for Admissions Committee ReviewAddress the reason(s) why your file is being presented to the AdmissionsCommittee for review.For example, if you have a low GPA, state the reasons for your low GPA or pooracademic performance.
• How will you be successful?o Address how you plan to be successful at Walden if admitted.