It is necessary for an RN-BSN-prepared nurse to demonstrate anenhanced understanding of the pathophysiological processes of disease,the clinical manifestations and treatment protocols, and how they affectclients across the life span.
Evaluate the Health History and Medical Information for Mr. C., presented below.
Basedon this information, formulate a conclusion based on your evaluation,and complete the Critical Thinking Essay assignment, as instructedbelow.
Health History and Medical Information
Mr.C., a 32-year-old single male, is seeking information at the outpatientcenter regarding possible bariatric surgery for his obesity. Hecurrently works at a catalog telephone center. He reports that he hasalways been heavy, even as a small child, gaining approximately 100pounds in the last 2-3 years. Previous medical evaluations have notindicated any metabolic diseases, but he says he has sleep apnea andhigh blood pressure, which he tries to control by restricting dietarysodium. Mr. C. reports increasing shortness of breath with activity,swollen ankles, and pruritus over the last 6 months.
- Height: 68 inches; weight 134.5 kg
- BP: 172/98, HR 88, RR 26
- 3+ pitting edema bilateral feet and ankles
- Fasting blood glucose: 146 mg/dL
- Total cholesterol: 250 mg/dL
- Triglycerides: 312 mg/dL
- HDL: 30 mg/dL
- Serum creatinine 1.8 mg/dL
- BUN 32 mg/dl
Critical Thinking Essay
In 750-1,000 words, critically evaluate Mr. C.’s potential diagnosis and intervention(s). Include the following:
- Describe the clinical manifestations present in Mr. C.
- Describethe potential health risks for obesity that are of concern for Mr. C.Discuss whether bariatric surgery is an appropriate intervention.
- Assesseach of Mr. C.’s functional health patterns using the informationgiven. Discuss at least five actual or potential problems can youidentify from the functional health patterns and provide the rationalefor each. (Functional health patterns include health-perception,health-management, nutritional, metabolic, elimination,activity-exercise, sleep-rest, cognitive-perceptual,self-perception/self-concept, role-relationship, sexuality/reproductive,coping-stress tolerance.)
- Explain the staging of end-stage renal disease (ESRD) and contributing factors to consider.
- ConsiderESRD prevention and health promotion opportunities. Describe what typeof patient education should be provided to Mr. C. for prevention offuture events, health restoration, and avoidance of deterioration ofrenal status.
- Explain the type of resources available for ESRDpatients for nonacute care and the type of multidisciplinary approachthat would be beneficial for these patients. Consider aspects such asdevices, transportation, living conditions, return-to-employment issues.
Youare required to cite to a minimum of two sources to complete thisassignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years andappropriate for the assignment criteria and relevant to nursingpractice.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelinesfound in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. Anabstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Pleasereview the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiarwith the expectations for successful completion.