This week’s reflection will be based on questions from the text. Read the play “The Hairy Ape” and answer the questions below. Devote a well-developed paragraph to each answer.
- The Hairy Ape is not a realistic play, although it deals with themes usually found in working-class or realistic literature. It is, however, an expressionist play. Research the definition of expressionism. How does O’Neill distort the realism of his scenery and characters to emphasis his working class themes? Consider, for instance, the introduction to Scene 1 and the robotic movements of the crowd on Fifth Avenue in Scene 5. What is O’Neill implying through these distortions?
- As seen in the play, describe the work and the working conditions aboard the ship. Is the situation fair to the workers? Explain.
- Describe Yank. Why is he so angry? How has his childhood and the industrial cultures affected his development?
- Submit as a Word Document
- Use MLA Formatting, including appropriate header, font size, spacing, citations, and reference page
- Be at least 3 paragraphs in length