This is a two part paper.
Course Project Part I
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 8
You will complete a Course Project in this course that will span twoweeks. The final project is due the Sunday of Week 7. The project isbroken into two parts and it would be most effective to complete Part Iin Week 6 and Part II in Week 7. In Week 6, Confidence Intervals will be explored and in Week 7 Hypothesis testing will be explored.
A confidence interval is a defined range of values such that there isa specified probability that the value of a parameter lies within theinterval.
In Part I of this project, you will pick a topic, complete research and provide a write-up that includes calculations. Round all values to two decimal places when appropriate.
- Choose a Topic where you can gather at least 50 pieces of data.
Examples of Topics
- The Golden Gate Warriors Points Per Game in 2016 (use the points scored in the first 50 games).
- High School Graduation Rates by State (use the graduation rates for all 50 states)
- Average Tuition Rates in the US (You have to find the tuition rates of 50 college/universities).
- The prices of a hotel room per night in a major city (You have to find the price of the same night of hotels in one city).
- Weights of 50 babies at birth.
- Write at least a 1-Page Report
Open a Word Document
- Introduction–Provide a description of your topic and cite where you found your data.
- Sample Data—Include a 5×10 table including your 50 values in your report. You must provide ALL of your sample data.
- Problem Computations—For the topic you chose, you must answer the following:
- Determine the mean and standard deviation of your sample.
- Find the 80%, 95%, and 99% confidence intervals.
- Make sure to list the margin of error for the 80%, 95%, and 99% confidence interval.
- Create your own confidence interval (you cannot use 80%, 95%, and99%) and make sure to show your work. Make sure to list the margin oferror.
- Problem Analysis—Write a half-page reflection.
- What trend do you see takes place to the confidence interval as theconfidence level rises? Explain mathematically why that takes place.
- Provide a sentence for each confidence interval created in part c)which explains what the confidence interval means in context of topic ofyour project.
- Explain how Part I of the project has helped you understand confidence intervals better?
- How did this project help you understand statistics better?
Microsoft Office: Word and Excel
Use a personal copy or access the software at https://application.chamberlain.edu (Links to an external site.).
This activity will be graded based on the Course Project grading rubric. You can view the rubric below.
Course Project Rubric
|Part I: Topic & Introduction||
|Part I: Sample Data||
|Part I: Mean & Standard Deviation||
|Part I: Constructing the 80%, 95%, 99% Confidence Intervals||
|Part I: Creating a new confidence interval||
|Part I: Problem Analysis||
|Part II: Choose a Data Set & Preliminary Data||
|Part II: Hypothesis Testing||
|Part II: Hypothesis Testing Analysis||
|Part II: Proposal and computations for new hypothesis test||
|Total Points: 90.0|